The Broadway League has made a statement on coronavirus, saying that the trade association is monitoring its progress and has been in touch with the Broadway theaters.
“The Broadway League is closely monitoring this evolving situation on behalf of the Broadway community. The safety and security of theatregoers and employees is our highest priority. We are following the lead of city, state and federally elected officials, as well as implementing strategies recommended by public health authorities in all of our theatres and offices. We remain vigilant, and are prepared to make decisions based on current needs, as well as in response to changing conditions,” the statement, which is currently posted on the League’s website, reads.
The League, which has a membership of theater owners and producers, is the second Broadway organization to speak out about coronavirus, as New York and the rest of the country make preparations for possible spread of the virus. The virus originated in China, but has now seen confirmed cases in the U.S., including one confirmed case in New York.
Actors’ Equity spoke out on Feb. 27 saying that the union has shared guidance with its staff and held conversations with the major employers.
As of Monday afternoon, six people in the U.S. have died of coronavirus, according to reports. There were 64 confirmed cases of the virus, which can be contracted by being in “close contact” with an infected person or inhaling in his or her vicinity, in the United States as of Monday, according to the Center for Disease Control.
NYC & Company, the marketing organization for the city of New York, said in a statement that the city “remains open for business” and is “operating as normal.”
“At this time, there are no federal restrictions in place to prevent meetings and travel within the United States, and we encourage meeting planners and event organizers to continue their New York City activities as planned, while consulting with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local public health authorities,” the statement reads.
In relation to the recently confirmed case in New York, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said in at a press conferenced Monday that the woman, a healthcare worker who contracted the disease while in Iran, is being isolated in her home and did not use any public transit after returning to New York.
Last week, Cuomo asked the state legislature to set aside $40 million to combat coronavirus.
Mayor Bill de Blasio, who conducted the press conference with Cuomo, said that the city would begin its own local testing for the disease by Friday.
“The facts are reassuring. All New Yorkers should really pay attention to this: We have a lot of information now, information is actually showing us things that should give us more reason to stay calm and go about our lives,” de Blasio said.